Dental Crowns and Bridges – Buzzards Bay, MA
Fast and Seamless Smile Repair
Decay, trauma, genetics, or other circumstances may have left you with a smile that falls short of its true potential. Thankfully, modern dentistry offers a number of treatments that can restore damaged or missing teeth, helping you to once again enjoy full dental function and an attractive grin. At Canal Side Family Dental, we often help our patients gain improved oral health through traditional dental crowns and bridges.
Why Choose Canal Side for Dental Crowns and Bridges?
- 1 All-Ceramic Materials Available For Premium Aesthetics
- 2 Comprehensive, Customized Treatment Plans Based Around Each Patient’s Goals
- 3 Implant-Retained Tooth Replacement Options Available
What Are Dental Crowns and Bridges?
Dental crowns in Buzzards Bay are custom prosthetics that fit over the entire visible portion of a tooth. A crown can protect a damaged tooth from further harm and bring back its function and appearance. Patients often require this type of restoration after root canal therapy, if they have a cavity that is too large for a filling to treat, or if they have a misshapen tooth that they wish to disguise.
A dental bridge in Buzzards Bay is used to replace between one and three missing teeth. It includes two crowns, which fit over the teeth next to the empty space (the abutment teeth) and prosthetic teeth to “bridge” the gap.
Crowns and bridges may be made of various materials, including metals like silver and gold. However, since metals tend to clash with the color of the teeth around them, we prefer to use all-porcelain restorations. They closely resemble natural tooth enamel, thus enabling you to show off your restored smile with total confidence.
The Dental Crown and Bridge Process
If we determine that you need a crown or bridge, we’ll begin your treatment by preparing the tooth (or teeth) that will receive the crown. We may have to reshape it a bit so it fits well beneath its restoration. Then, we’ll take some impressions of your mouth and give you a temporary crown to wear until your permanent one is ready.
After we design your permanent restoration and a laboratory fabricates it, you’ll return to our dental office for a second appointment. We’ll make sure your crown or bridge fits well and provides you with a comfortable bite. Finally, we’ll cement it in place with a special long-term adhesive.
Maintaining Your Dental Crown or Bridge
With proper care, you can reasonably expect your crown or bridge to last for 5 – 10 years. In many cases, they last even longer than that. To help your restoration remain functional and beautiful for the long haul, you should:
- Avoid grinding or clenching your teeth. If you struggle with these habits, a nightguard, TMJ therapy, or some rest and relaxation may help you stop.
- Attend regular dental visits. Our team will always check to make sure your crown or bridge is still doing its job. If we notice any problems, we’ll recommend repair or replacement.
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene. If you have a bridge, it is important that you use a floss threader to clean the area beneath your artificial tooth.
Do you believe you could benefit from a crown or bridge? Contact Canal Side Family Dental today to schedule your restorative consultation.