Tooth Extractions – Buzzards Bay, MA
Extractions Can Be Safe, Comfortable, & Stress-Free
Our dentists will go out of their way to help you maintain strong, natural dental structure that stands the test of time — but sometimes, tooth extractions can become an unfortunate inevitability. We have plenty of experience with this type of advanced care and will do all we can to demonstrate that extractions can be safe, comfortable, and stress-free. We will also arrange reconstructive care as needed to rebuild the lost tooth or teeth as soon as possible. Please contact us today in Buzzards Bay, MA if you have any concerns or would like to schedule an appointment.
Why Choose Canal Side Family Dental for Tooth Extractions?
- 1Compassionate & Highly Trained Dentists
- 2State-of-the-Art Dental Implants for Tooth Replacement
- 3Your Comfort Is a Top Priority
Reasons Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
While it is never our first choice to remove a tooth, in some situations, it is the absolute best thing we can do to protect someone’s oral and overall health. We may choose to extract a tooth if:
- It is too damaged or decayed to be safely restored with a crown, filling, inlay, or onlay.
- Advanced periodontal disease has deteriorated the bone supporting a tooth.
- Decay or infection in one tooth is starting to affect those around it.
- One of a child’s primary teeth has stayed too long and is threatening the health of incoming adult teeth.
- It is necessary to make more room in the mouth for dentures or orthodontic treatment.
The Process of Removing a Tooth
In most cases, tooth extractions are pretty straightforward. First, we numb the patient’s mouth to help them be as comfortable as possible. Next, we use an instrument called an elevator to lift the tooth out of its socket. We then grip the tooth with forceps and move it back and forth in order to break the ligament that was holding it in place. After the tooth is removed, we use gauze to control any bleeding.
Following your extraction, we may talk to you about your options for tooth replacement. You might be eligible for a bridge or dental implant.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Here are some steps you can take to facilitate a smooth recovery:
- Take mediations as prescribed by our team.
- After the initial 24 hours, start regularly rinsing your mouth with warm salt water.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not use drinking straws.
- Keep your head propped up on pillows when you are resting.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity.
- Resist the temptation to touch your extraction site with your tongue or fingers.
- Attend all follow-up appointments as recommended so we can replace your lost tooth in a timely manner. This can help you to avoid complications like dental drift and future tooth loss.
Understanding the Cost of Tooth Extractions
There is no universal cost of tooth extractions; the price can depend on a number of different factors. When you come in for your consultation, we will be able to provide a personalized estimate. We will also be glad to help you explore payment options, such as insurance and financing. You should not let concerns about money hold you back from getting necessary care; the cost of tooth extractions is accessible for most patients.
Factors That Can Affect Tooth Extraction Cost
There are numerous factors that can have a bearing on the cost of tooth extractions, including:
- The specific tooth that needs to be extracted. Some teeth are more challenging to remove than others. Therefore, they incur higher fees. This is often the case with impacted teeth (teeth that are stuck beneath the gumline).
- The number of teeth that need to be removed. Logically, removing just one or two teeth costs less than removing several teeth.
- The overall complexity of the case. We are able to complete most tooth extractions right here in our Buzzards Bay dental office. Sometimes, though, we must refer patients to an outside specialist, who may have a pricing structure that is quite different from our own.
- Additional care. Tooth replacement after your extraction can increase the total cost of your care. There are different types of tooth replacement, each of which comes at its own price point.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Tooth Extractions?
It is fairly standard for dental insurance to cover tooth extractions. Depending on the details of the case, the procedure can be categorized as either a minor or major service, meaning that anywhere from 40% to 80% of its cost might be covered. Our insurance-friendly team will be happy to help you figure out how your benefits apply and assist you as you seek to use them in the most advantageous way possible.
Other Options for Making Tooth Extractions Affordable
In addition to insurance, there are a few provisions that may make it easier for you to afford your extraction procedure:
- CareCredit financing. CareCredit is a financier that specializes in providing low-interest payment plans for medical and dental services. After a quick application process, most patients are approved for credit.
- Essential Dental Plan. This discount plan, designed for patients without insurance, can provide reduced fees on virtually all of the services available in our office. Signing up is quick and easy, and you can start using your benefits right away.
Would you like to learn more about tooth extractions and their cost? Our team is ready to answer your questions and provide top-quality care for your smile. Get in touch with us today.